The Hindu Editorial Vocab (Arms and the women) – 20 August, 2021
- Arms (noun) – weapons of war, weaponry, firearms, guns, artillery, armaments.
- Gender parity (noun) – gender equality; it is the view that everyone should receive equal treatment and not be discriminated against based on their gender.
- Uphill (adjective) – arduous, difficult, hard/tough, taxing, demanding.
- Abide by (verb) – conform to, adhere to, comply with.
- Grant (verb) – give, allocate, allot, assign to.
- Combat (noun) – battle, fighting, war.
- Point out (phrasal verb) – identify, mention, indicate, draw attention to.
- Play a part/role (phrase) – contribute to, be instrumental in, be a factor in.
- Induction (noun) – admission, enlistment, recruitment (into military service).
- Extend (verb) – offer, give, grant.
- Step forward (noun) – improvement, development, advancement, progress.
- Stringent (adjective) – strict, severe, extreme, rigorous.
- Systemic (adjective) – affecting all parts in a system; constructional, organizational, structural.
- Go back (phrasal verb) – return to.
- Sort out (phrasal verb) – solve, find a solution to, rectify, deal with.
- Lay down (phrasal verb) – formulate, stipulate & insist on a rule.
- Interim (adjective) – provisional, temporary, transitional.
- Directive (noun) – an authoritative order, command, direction, instruction; rule, ruling, regulation, law, decree.
- Subject to (adjective) – conditional on, contingent on, depending on.
- Hearing (noun) – inquiry, legal proceedings, trial/court case.
- The solicitor general (noun) – the second-highest rank for a law officer of the government.
- Bench (noun) – a court of law with a number of judges.
- Gender discrimination (noun) – discrimination based on gender (or sex (male/female)).
- Discrimination (noun) – prejudice, intolerance, inequity, unfairness (against an individual or group of individuals by society and its institutions (basically in the procedures, policies or objectives) as a whole.
- Constructive (adjective) – formative, productive, useful/helpful, practical/effective.
- Discriminatory (adjective) – biased, unfair/unjust, inequitable, one-sided, partisan.
- Ruling (noun) – judgement, adjudication, verdict.
- Seek (verb) – ask for, request, appeal, demand.
- Uphold (verb) – confirm, endorse/approve, vindicate/validate.
- Non-discriminatory (adjective) – fair, judicial, unbiased.
- Overcome (verb) – prevail over, triumph over, succeed in dealing with (a problem/difficulty).
- Hurdle (noun) – obstacle, difficulty, problem, barrier, impediment, obstruction, hindrance.
- Long haul (noun) – difficult task.
- Context (noun) – circumstances, conditions, situation.
Source : The Hindu Newspaper
Read Here : Editorial Link
The Hindu Vocab, Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, today’s vocab pdf, 20 august vocab, how to learn, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab