The Hindu Editorial Vocab (In free fall) 25 August, 2021
- Free fall (noun) – sudden decline of something; relating to something declining rapidly.
- Sectarian (adjective) – dogmatic, clannish, partisan, fanatical, bigoted, narrow-minded.
- Set aside (phrasal verb) – disregard, put aside, ignore, forget, shrug off.
- On the brink of (phrase) – on the edge/verge of difficult/dangerous situation; at a crucial or critical point.
- Collapse (noun) – breakdown, failure, disintegration, lack of success.
- Meltdown (noun) – (economic) downturn, slide, decline, collapse.
- Aggravate (verb) – increase, intensify, worsen, exacerbate, compound.
- Explosion (noun) – detonation, blast.
- Wound (verb) – injure, hurt, damage, harm, disable, incapacitate.
- Deepen (verb) – increase, intensify, heighten, exacerbate, aggravate, worsen.
- Caretaker (noun modifier) – temporary, provisional, interim.
- Reel under (phrase) – to suffer (due to a burden).
- Downturn (noun) – (economic) decline, shock, setback, blow, upset.
- Subsidised (adjective) – paid part of the cost of something (for example, food), so that it is available at a lower price.
- Cite (verb) – refer to, adduce, make reference to, invoke.
- Depleted (adjective) – exhausted, used up, consumed, expended, spent, drained, emptied.
- Lead to (verb) – result in, cause, bring on.
- Chaotic (adjective) – confused, disrupted, tumultuous, disorganized.
- Scramble (verb) – run, rush, hurry, hasten; jostle, scuffle, compete, tussle.
- Contract (verb) – decline, decrease, diminish, reduce.
- Get back to (phrasal verb) – come back to, return to.
- Step down (phrasal verb) – resign, withdraw, quit, stand down, give up one’s job.
- Shia (adjective) – relating to Shia branch/sect of Islam.
- Sunni (adjective) – relating to Sunni branch/sect of Islam.
- Technocrat (noun) – a supporter of technocracy. Technocracy (noun) – the government by a group of people with both political power as well as technical knowledge.
- Faction (noun) – group, section, division (within a larger group).
- Bloc (noun) – group, faction, union.
- Militia (noun) – armed forces, military unit, insurgent, rebel (that involves in rebel/terrorist activities against the main/regular forces).
- Orbit (noun) – ambit, domain, realm, sphere of influence, authority.
- Counterproductive (adjective) – harmful, damaging, dangerous/destructive.
- Sanctions (noun) – action taken, or an order given to force a country to obey international laws by limiting or stopping trade with that country, by not allowing economic aid for that country, etc (courtesy: voa learning English).
- Sought Past Form of Seek (verb) – ask for, request, appeal for, apply for.
- Elite (noun) – high society people; the group of most powerful people in a society; best.
Source : The Hindu Newspaper
Read Here : Editorial Link
The Hindu Vocab, Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, today’s vocab pdf, 20 august vocab, how to learn, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab the hindu editorial daily vocabulary, the hindu editorial today with vocab daily the hindu vocab