The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary (Making them pay) – 08 September, 2021
- Monopolise (verb) – to have complete control over something (a particular product or service).
- Dub (verb) – call, name, tag.
- Emulate (verb) – imitate, follow, mirror; take as a model, take as an example.
- Exorbitantly (adverb) – excessively, unreasonably, prohibitively, inordinately, immoderately, disproportionately.
- Ubiquitous (adjective) – widespread, common, present everywhere, all over, worldwide, global, universal.
- Imperative (adjective) – vitally important, necessary, essential, crucial/critical.
- Off the block (phrase) – at the very beginning; immediately.
- Not far behind (phrase) – come behind/follow closely.
- Bring in (phrasal verb) – introduce, put forward, propose, present, initiate.
- Reportedly (adverb) – supposedly, seemingly, apparently, professedly, ostensibly, purportedly.
- Ambit (noun) – bounds, confines, limits, range.
- Draft law (noun) – a preliminary version of something (a law).
- Seek (verb) – try, aim, attempt.
- Gatekeeper (noun) – someone/something that controls access to something else.
- Comply with (verb) – abide by, adhere to, conform to, follow.
- Dos and don’ts (phrase) – rules that one should follow.
- Fair (adjective) – reasonable, satisfactory, acceptable, respectable, decent, good enough, adequate, sufficient.
- Centre around (verb) – focus, concentrate, pivot, hinge on.
- Senator (noun) – a member of the senate (the upper house or chamber in some bicameral legislative systems. (for example in the US, Australia, Canada).
- Along the same line (phrase) – in a similar way or method.
- Backdrop (noun) – situation, background, scenario, context.
- Sue (verb) – take legal action against, take to court, bring an action against, bring a suit against.
- Move (noun) – measure, step, action.
- Trigger (verb) – cause, prompt, give rise to, bring about.
- Oust (verb) – remove, dislodge, overthrow.
- Put up (phrasal verb) – propose, put forward, suggest, recommend.
- On the back foot (phrase) – in a defensive position, off balance, at a disadvantage.
- Angst (noun) – anxiety, apprehension, distress, disquiet, worry.
- Antitrust (adjective) – relating to something (e.g. A legislation) which is controlling monopolies and supporting fair and equal competition.
- Allegation (noun) – charge, accusation, indictment.
- Drastic (adjective) – extreme, serious, forceful.
- Silo (noun) – any system/process/department which is unable to operate with others. It functions alone and does not wish to share information with others.
- Democratise (verb) – make something available to everyone.
- Proprietary (adjective) – branded, own-brand.
- Undermine (verb) – weaken, subvert, sabotage, damage.
Source : The Hindu Newspaper
Read Here : Editorial Link
The Hindu Vocab, Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, today’s vocab pdf, 20 august vocab, how to learn, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab the hindu editorial daily vocabulary, the hindu editorial today with vocab daily the hindu vocab
The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary