The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary (Return of the Mullahs) – 10 September, 2021
- Inclusive (adjective) – all-inclusive, including all the parties/groups involved in something.
- Lay something to rest (phrase – to end something.
- Ethnic (adjective) – relating to a population subgroup (cultural, national, traditional/folk) with a common national or cultural tradition.
- Predominantly (adverb) – mainly, mostly.
- Make up (phrasal verb) – constitute, account for, comprise, form, compose.
- Ethnically (adverb) – culturally, racially.
- Diverse (adjective) – very different, varying, multiple.
- Discrimination (noun) – prejudice, intolerance, inequity, unfairness (against an individual or group of individuals by society and its institutions (basically in the procedures, policies or objectives) as a whole.
- Reclusive (adjective) – solitary, secluded/isolated, introverted.
- Emir (noun) – a military commander, chief, ruler, leader (in Islamic countries).
- Assume (verb) – accept, undertake, take on (the power/responsibility).
- Portfolio (noun) – the area of responsibility (department) assigned to a minister.
- Resemble (verb) – look like, be similar to, be like.
- Disregard (noun) – indifference, inattention, heedlessness, carelessness, neglect, lack of notice, negligence.
- Avatar (noun) – type.
- Holdout (noun) – an act of holding out (resisting) something.
- Overrun (verb) – invade, overwhelm, occupy (a place).
- Tighten (verb) – make stricter, make more rigorous, make more stringent, stiffen, toughen.
- Grip (noun) – control, power, hold.
- Tighten your grip on something (phrase) – start to control something more strictly.
- Contradiction (noun) – a combination of statements opposed to one another.
- Gloss over (phrasal verb) – ignore, avoid talking about/dealing with something unpleasant and treat it as less important; conceal or cover up a mistake/crime; hide, camouflage, whitewash.
- Divisive (adjective) – relating to something that causes arguments between people; disharmonious, discordant, alienating, estranging, isolating.
- Hit back (phrasal verb) – retaliate against, strike back at, counter.
- Exclusion (noun) – banning, prohibition; elimination, ruling out; expulsion, removal.
- Marginalisation (noun) – an act of making something as insignificant/unimportant.
- Ethnicity (noun) – a category of people who identify with each other based on common language, ancestral, social, cultural, or national experiences.
- Blow back (phrasal verb) – to have an unforeseen negative consequences of an action/decision.
- Vibrant (adjective) – high-spirited, energetic, lively.
- Quietly (adverb) – silently.
- Crackdown (noun) – getting tough, severe/stern measures, restriction, suppression/repression, clampdown.
- Spark (verb) – prompt, trigger, provoke, incite.
- Unimaginable (adjective) – unthinkable, inconceivable, unbelievable.
- Wise (adjective) – well advised, well thought out, well judged, far-sighted; sensible rational, logical.
- Heal (verb) – alleviate, assuage, relieve, ease, lessen, mitigate.
- Wound (noun) – pain, distress, grief, trauma, anguish.
- Ruptured (adjective) – divided, disrupted, broken, fractured.
- Sectarian (adjective) – dogmatic, partisan, fanatical, bigoted, narrow-minded.
- Programmatically (adverb) – in a programmatic manner. (according to a program, schedule, or method).
Source : The Hindu Newspaper
Read Here : Editorial Link
The Hindu Vocab, Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, today’s vocab pdf, 20 august vocab, how to learn, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab the hindu editorial daily vocabulary, the hindu editorial today with vocab daily the hindu vocab
The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary