The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary (A Patel at the helm) – 13 September, 2021
- At the helm (phrase) – in charge, in command/control/authority; in the driving seat.
- Helm (noun) – in charge, in command, in authority, position.
- Change of guard (phrase) – it used to refer to a situation in which there is a (dramatic) change in which new people are replacing people (existing) in positions of importance.
- Accommodate (verb) – adjust, adapt, attune, get accustomed, come to terms with, come to accept.
- Effect (verb) – bring about, cause to happen, cause to occur.
- Out of the blue (phrase) – used to describe any event that happens unexpectedly (and there is no warning or time to prepare); unexpectedly, suddenly.
- Intrigue (noun) – (secret) planning, scheming, plotting.
- Lead to (verb) – result in, cause, bring on.
- Keep something under wraps (phrase) – keep something secret.
- So far as (phrase) – to the extent that.
- Sedition (noun) – incitement (to riot/rebellion), agitation, trouble making/provocation (against the established government/authority).
- On the cards (phrase) – likely, possible, expected, in the offing.
- Backbone (noun) – mainstay, cornerstone, foundation, chief support.
- Elevation (noun) – rise, growth, promotion, upgrading, advancement.
- Unsettle (verb) – disturb, upset, discomfit, disconcert.
- Cozy (adjective) – (of a relationship) intimate, relaxed, friendly; comfortable.
- Last (verb) – continue, remain, persist, exist.
- Ejection (noun) – expulsion, throwing out, removal, ousting.
- Tent (noun) – camp, base.
- Strategy (noun) – plan of action (in order to achieve a more expansive set of political, economic, and security interests).
- Rebel against (verb) – defy, disobey, flout, oppose, resist.
- Axis (noun) – alliance, coalition, bloc, union.
- Starkly (adverb) – clearly, distinctly, strikingly.
- Loom (verb) – emerge, appear, become visible, take a threatening shape.
- Restive (adjective) – restless, agitated; rebellious, insurgent; uncontrollable, unmanageable.
- Viable (adjective) – reasonable, practical, logical, sensible, effective.
- Rudderless (adjective) – having no (clear) aim/principle; lacking in control, lacking in direction.
- Designate (adjective/suffix) – used to describe someone who has been officially selected to do a particular job, but has not yet started doing it.
- Underscore (verb) – underline, emphasize, highlight.
- Entrench (verb) – ingrain, establish, embed.
- Reversal (noun) – change, turnaround, turnabout, about-face, u-turn, sea change.
- Diverse (adjective) – very different, varying, multiple.
- Project (verb) – present someone in a specific way.
- Subsequent (adjective) – following, ensuing, succeeding, successive.
- Exception (noun) – anomaly, deviation, departure, special case.
- Resent (verb) – feel aggrieved about, feel bitter about, be annoyed about, dislike.
- Veteran (noun as modifier ) – (long-serving) expert, seasoned, mature, established/experienced (person in an area of activity).
- Warhorse (noun) – an experienced politician; veteran.
- Successor (noun) – inheritor, next-in-line, descendant.
- Ongoing (adjective) – current, existing, continuing.
- Stand-off (noun) – deadlock, stalemate, impasse (in a dispute/conflict).
Source : The Hindu Newspaper
Read Here : Editorial Link
The Hindu Vocab, Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, today’s vocab pdf, 20 august vocab, how to learn, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab the hindu editorial daily vocabulary, the hindu editorial today with vocab daily the hindu vocab
The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary