The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary (Talking amid conflict) – 14 September, 2021
- Amid (preposition) – in the middle of, surrounded by; during.
- Free fall (noun) – sudden decline of something; relating to something declining rapidly.
- Trade war/tariff war (noun) – a condition in which a country increases tariffs on foreign goods and imposes quota restrictions to restrict other countries’ trade.
- Ties (noun) – association, relationship, bond, connection.
- Strain (verb) – hurt, damage, impair.
- Strained (adjective) – damaged, impaired, awkward, troubled, embarrassed.
- Rancour (noun) – bitterness, hate, resentment/hostility, hatred.
- Perilous (adjective) – dangerous, risky, precarious, insecure, life-threatening.
- Prompt (verb) – cause, encourage, stimulate, impel, urge.
- Counterpart (noun) – someone or something that has the same job or purpose as another; equivalent, equal, fellow.
- Inauguration (noun) – the formal admission of someone to the office; introduction, formation, beginning (of something).
- Veer (verb) – change, deviate, diverge.
- Sought past participle seek (verb) – ask for, request, appeal for.
- Contentious (adjective) – controversial, disputable, debatable.
- For one’s part (phrase) – from one’s standpoint, in one’s opinion, in one’s view.
- Concession (noun) – compromise, adjustment, modification; allowance, exception.
- Thorny (adjective) – problematic, tricky, delicate, controversial.
- Revoke (verb) – cancel, repeal, reverse, abrogate.
- Extradition (noun) – the action of surrendering/handing over a fugitive (a person who has escaped from being confined/accused of a crime) from one jurisdiction to another by mutual agreements between the two countries. Deportation, handover, expulsion.
- On trial (phrase) – being prosecuted in a court of law.
- Stance (noun) – position, approach, standpoint.
- Call (for) (noun) – requirement, demand, need, necessity.
- Liken (verb) – compare, equate, correlate.
- Oasis (noun) – a small patch of vegetation surrounded by desert; a fertile land in a desert.
- Sooner or later (phrase) – eventually, in the end, finally.
- Endure (verb) – tolerate, withstand, sustain, put up with, go along with, suffer.
- Insulate (verb) – protect, safeguard, shield.
- Discord (noun) – strife, conflict, friction, hostility, disagreement, lack of agreement, lack of harmony.
- Precise (adjective) – exact, accurate, specific.
- With regard to (phrase) – regarding, concerning, with respect to, in respect of, with reference to.
- On the contrary (phrase) – conversely, just the opposite.
- Hit out (phrasal verb) – criticize, attack, denounce, lash out, castigate.
- Waver (verb) – be undecided, be irresolute, be indecisive, hesitate, vacillate, fluctuate.
- Backpedal (verb) – back down on, go back on, withdraw, backtrack .
- Unfathomable (adjective) – difficult to understand; incomprehensible, cryptic, mysterious, perplexing/bewildering.
Source : The Hindu Newspaper
Read Here : Editorial Link
The Hindu Vocab, Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, today’s vocab pdf, 20 august vocab, how to learn, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab the hindu editorial daily vocabulary, the hindu editorial today with vocab daily the hindu vocab
The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary