The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary (Cracking the whip) – 15 September, 2021
- Crack the whip (phrase) – to use power or authority to control someone.
- Mandate (noun) – instruction, direction, order, requirement.
- Buckle (verb) – cave in, give way, yield, crumple, collapse (to weight/pressure)
- Irate (adjective) – angry, furious, infuriated, incensed.
- Campaigner (noun) – champion, activist, advocate.
- Sweeping (adjective) – comprehensive, all-inclusive, all-embracing, far-reaching; decisive, thorough, unconditional.
- The odds (noun) – likelihood, probability, chance; advantage.
- Rampaging (adjective) – excessive, storming, uncontrollable, unrestrained.
- In the face of (phrase) – despite, notwithstanding, regardless of; when confronted with.
- Leverage (verb) – utilize something (e.g. The power) to maximum advantage.
- Fiscal (noun) – financial.
- Heft (noun) – influence, ability; weight/strength.
- Workforce (noun) – workers, employees.
- Willingness (noun) – readiness, preparedness, disposition, inclination.
- To the doorstep (phrase) – very near/close to something.
- Primarily (adverb) – basically, especially, particularly.
- Overrun (verb) – overwhelm, swamp, occupy (a place in large numbers).
- Nevertheless (adverb) – in spite of everything, notwithstanding, regardless, anyway, anyhow, however.
- Conservative (adjective) – right-wing, neoliberal, alt-right, republican; traditional, conventional, orthodox.
- Decry (verb) – criticize, denounce, condemn.
- Violative (adjective) – offensive, contradictory, antithetical, adverse.
- Slip (verb) – fall, drop, slide, decline.
- To an extent (phrase) – somewhat, partly.
- Relatedly (adverb) – comparably, correspondingly, correlatedly; on a related point.
- Perhaps (adverb) – maybe, possibly.
- Deepening (adjective) – increasing, intensifying.
- Result in (phrasal verb) – cause, bring on, bring about.
- Enforcement (noun) – imposition, implementation, execution.
- Potentially (adverb) – likely, possibly, probably.
- Fire (verb) – dismiss, lay off, throw out, oust.
- Invoke (verb) – cite, refer to, adduce.
- Ask for (phrasal verb) – inquire, request, seek, demand.
- Patron (noun) – customer, client; sponsor, backer, supporter.
- Bottom line (noun) – the main/important factor in a situation.
- Pay the price/cost (phrase) – experience the bad/unpleasant result of something; sacrifice, loss.
- Catastrophic (adjective) – destructive, ruinous, disastrous.
- March (noun) – progress, advance, progression, continuance, development, evolution, headway.
- Grit one’s teeth (phrase) – keep one’s determination, resolution, firmness of purpose in a difficult situation.
- See through (phrasal verb) – bring to completion, continue to the end, bring to a finish.
- Fuming (adjective) – angry, furious, raging, incensed.
Source : The Hindu Newspaper
Read Here : Editorial Link
The Hindu Vocab, Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, today’s vocab pdf, 20 august vocab, how to learn, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab the hindu editorial daily vocabulary, the hindu editorial today with vocab daily the hindu vocab
The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary