The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary (America’s Asia policy) 31 August, 2021
- Push for (phrasal verb) – work for, support for, urge, promote, advocate, recommend, champion, espouse.
- Debacle (noun) – fiasco, failure, disaster.
- Find oneself in (verb) – discover, come across, come upon (oneself to be in a specific position/situation).
- Hasty (adjective) – hurried, rapid/quick; reckless, ill-considered, ill-advised.
- Botch (verb) – to perform a task carelessly & awkwardly; to work clumsily; mishandle, mismanage, bungle, do badly, mess up/screw up.
- Brickbat (noun) – critical remark; criticism, censure, flak, disapproval.
- Underscore (verb) – underline, emphasize, highlight.
- Apparent (adjective) – evident/clear, visible, noticeable, recognizable.
- Chaotic (adjective) – confused, disrupted, tumultuous, disorganized.
- Undergird (verb) – bear, brace, support/uphold, bolster, underpin, reinforce, strengthen.
- Irony (noun) – paradox, incongruity, peculiarity; contradiction, a strange/funny situation where things are happening the other way around (than expected).
- Takeover (noun) – seizure, occupation, capture; gaining of control, change of ownership.
- Stung (1st Form : Sting) – (verb) – upset, distress, hurt.
- Paradigm (noun) – model, pattern, case in point.
- Boilerplate (noun as modifier) – relating to predictable ideas/approaches.
- Ethnic (adjective) – relating to a population subgroup (cultural, national, traditional/folk) with a common national or cultural tradition.
- Supersede (verb) – replace, supplant, take over from, substitute for, remove, override.
- Norm (noun) – standard, convention, rules of conduct.
- Rational (adjective) – logical, well reasoned, sensible, reasonable.
- In part (phrase) – to a certain degree/level/extent, somewhat, relatively, comparatively.
- Demonise (verb) – to show someone/something as evil/wicked/bad.
- Ties (noun) – association, relationship, bond, connection.
- Shadowy (adjective) – indistinguishable, unrecognizable, ill-defined.
- Proxy (noun) – deputy, representative, substitute. (proxy war means war through a representative/agent).
- Relentless (adjective) – constant, continuous, non-stop, unceasing.
- Persist (verb) – continue, remain, linger, stay.
- Pull out (phrasal verb) – withdraw, remove, get out.
- Ally (noun) – a country/state with an alliance with another one in which they promise to support each other militarily and to defend each other.
- Diminished (adjective) – reduced, decreased, lessened, curtailed, truncated, trimmed.
- Assuage (verb) – alleviate, soothe, mitigate, tone down, decrease, reduce, lower.
- Shore up (phrasal verb) – support, assist, strengthen, fortify, buttress.
- Take a beating (phrase) – suffer damage.
- Summit (noun) – meeting, conference, conclave. (international meeting/conference of heads of state/government).
- Indifference (noun) – unconcern about, apathy about, lack of interest in, disregard for.
- Considerable (adjective) – substantial, appreciable, significant, a lot of.
- Blowback (noun) – unexpected (bad & harmful) outcomes; negative consequences/results/reactions of an action or decision (particularly, of a political action).
- Two-fold (adjective) – having two parts/elements.
- Cyclical (adjective) – recurrent, recurring, repeated, repetitive.
- Transition (noun) – change, transformation, adaptation, adjustment.
- Breeding ground (noun) – a place or situation that causes the (uncontrolled) transmission/spreading of infectious disease.
- Outfit (noun) – group.
- Step into the breach (phrase) – fill in, take over, act as substitute, hold the fort.
- Cede (verb) – lose, give up, concede (power/authority).
- Pecking order (noun) – line of dominance, power-structure, social hierarchy, social-stratification.
- Hegemony (noun) – leadership, dominance, authority.
Source : The Hindu Newspaper
Read Here : Editorial Link
The Hindu Vocab, Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Vocab pdf, The Hindu Vocab monthly pdf, today’s vocab pdf, 20 august vocab, how to learn, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab, The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab The Hindu Editorial Vocab the hindu editorial daily vocabulary, the hindu editorial today with vocab daily the hindu vocab
The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary The Hindu Editorial Vocabulary